Q & A with Troy Kalleske


Q. When were you born?
A. I was a vintage baby, born 8th March 1978, Kapunda.

Q. Why a winemaker?
A. Whilst I grew up amongst the vines, my interest in winemaking started at Faith Lutheran School, where in 1993 I was part of the Agricultural class to first make wine at the school.  I then studied winemaking and in 1999 I graduated with a Bachelor of Agricultural Science (Oenology) Degree from the University of Adelaide.




















Q.
Work before Kalleske Wines?
A. Following university, I was a graduate winemaker with Southcorp where I worked at Seppelt Great Western, Southcorp Tumbarumba, Lindemans Karadoc, Penfolds Barossa and Seppeltsfield fortified winery. I’ve also completed a vintage with Veritas Winery, Miranda Barossa and gained valuable international knowledge as Harvest Enologist for Kendall-Jackson at Vinwood Cellars in Sonoma,California.

Q. Starting Kalleske Wines?
A. In 2002, together with Tony, we started making wine in Tony’s shed from our family vineyard.

Q. Major winemaking accolades?
A. 2011 - Finalist in the Wine Society Young Winemaker of the Year Awards.
2010 - Awarded Trophy for Best Red Wine of Show at the Australia/New Zealand Organic Wine Show.
2009 – Awarded Trophy for ‘Australia’s Best Shiraz’ and ‘Barossa’s Best Shiraz’, International Wine Challenge, London.
2008 – Named Barossa Winemaker of the Year by Barons of Barossa
2007 – Named ‘Australia’s Young Gun of Wine’ at the V-Know Young Gun of Wine Awards.
2007 – Finalist in the Wine Society Young Winemaker of the Year Awards.
2007 – Awarded Trophy for Best Red Wine and Best Wine of Show at the Australia/New Zealand Organic Wine Show.

Q. Winemaking philosophy?
A. My belief is that real wine is made in the vineyard.  As an Organic/BD winemaker, I use minimal intervention in the winery and rather let the vineyard express itself, as wine is a product that should reflect its site. I see myself as guiding the grapes into the bottle with the aim of capturing the true essence of the vineyard in the finished wine.

Q. Family?
A. I’m married to Sally and have an 18 month old daughter, Olivia.  There’s also Teddy, our Jack Russell and Wilbur, our ‘miniature’ pig.

Q. Other than wine?
A. Kalleske Wines keeps me rather busy but along with spending time with the family, I also enjoy gardening, woodwork, playing basketball (recently won Barossa A-grade premiership!), jumping on the motorbike occasionally and also a spot of yabbying and fishing.


No comments:

Post a Comment